Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A Conversation With My Mother

Mom: "Emily, why do you want a polaroid camera? It's so OLD."
Me: "Well, I just want one. I've wanted one for a long time, and I finally decided to get one."
Mom, baffled: "Well...it's just so old and outdated. I mean, don't you want a digital camera? They take such better pictures, and everyone has them."
Me: "But I don't want one. I'll get one and they'll come out with a much better model within six months."
Mom, reasonably: "But Em, the film is expensive. And if you move the least little bit it comes out blurry. Digital pictures look so nice."
Me, exasperated: "This is just like the time I wanted a record player and you said it was a dead technology and a pain in the ass and records are unpractical in every way. And I didn't get one and I REALLY WANTED IT. And I would really like a polaroid camera."
Mom, mildly: "Allright, fine. It's just such a strange thing to want."
Me:"I don't care. I would like one."
Mom: "Ok. Here is your father."
Dad:"Hey! What's this I hear about you wanting a polaroid camera?"
Me:"Grumble grumble JUST LIKE THAT TIME WITH THE RECORD PLAYER grumble."
Dad, brightly:"Heck, turntables are great! They're really classic. Why didn't you say something?"
Me, dumbfounded:"What?"
Dad:"Find one you like and let us know!"
Me, still taken aback: "Sure...I saw this portable one in a suitcase...I'll email you the link."
Dad:"Sure. We can take a look at it, see how it sounds."

I had best be getting a LOT of oudated technology for my birthday. I am thinking about wanting eight-track players now, and slide rules.

No comments: